How to Vent an Electric Dryer. Wet lint does not always make it to the vent hose! Are you using your fireplace efficiently? | I get sick from basement venting. Load up on savings with these laundry tricks. October 18, 2017 | You run a higher risk fire by not cleaning the duct switching winter summer would keep the duct clean. Where space is limited, an adjustable offset dryer vent is used. Get a dryer hose extension, the flexible plastic kind, cost is about $5.Cut a hole in the bucket lid that you can insert the end of the extension vent hose into. How do you know when the added moisture will make you more comfortable or lead to mold growth or even rot? It also isn't good for anyone with allergies... * If you live in a dry area (Like Arizona) you could open the windows & run a load or two, (If you REALLY need some clean clothes before you can get it hooked up) this wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Good way to never wake up after taking a nap after doibg laundry. It's even illegal in some communities. It was not problem and worked very well. This is an absolutely idiotic idea. Some are flexible, and others are rigid. The latest high tech approach is the solar clothes dryer. "Improperly vented dryers and lint buildup cause over 15,000 fires a year. An electric dryer pulls lots of moisture out of the clothes it's drying. February 04, 2018 | Do a web search for indoor dryer vent. It's not safe to vent a gas dryer indoors. When I was younger I moved in to a house we'd just bought & started using the electric dryer without bothering to vent it to the outside & guess what!? (03/29/2007), Though my dryer is vented to the outside the lint was collecting in my flower bed. My best scenario is for moving the dryer/washer into the garage to avoid the problem of distance venting issues, but we would have to get a plumber/electrician to get that set up. Back in the 1970s, I often advised my clients to vent their dryers into the house during winter. According to North Dakota State University Extension, if humidity levels are low inside the home, venting the dryer inside is a safe alternative. For electric dryers, it is Underwriters Laboratories UL 2158. But you should never vent a gas dryer indoors due to carbon monoxide build up and the same issues with electric dryer with mold. Although a dryer vent typically vents moist clothes dryer air into outdoor air, it is possible to vent an electric dryer indoors. I do not know how much heat (BTU's) a dryer outputs during a run but it seems like it would be a small amount, and of course most people don't run their dryer very often - maybe a handful of times a week. In the winter, the make-up air the dryer sucks in tends to be dry, making the air in your house dry. That's why building codes are so specific about dryer venting. Here's a link that will help. I just last night found out that the remodel done 5 yrs. | All in all, dryers can cost a lot to operate and create serious issues with moisture, comfort and even health. The problem is determining which houses and when. This depends on a number of factors including how tight your house is, how big it is, what it's made of, how much laundry you do and what the weather is. Home Depot and such stores carry kits for this. I used my dremel multi-tool with a cutting bit to make a pretty good circle, one that the vent hose end would just fit into. How can I vent it outside to make it less of a fire hazard? no no no don't use a stocking! In general, dryer vents work to remove heat exhaust from the dryer during its operation. She says it saves a lot of energy on heating and keeps the house from getting so dry in the winter. The answer is that a gas stove doesnt give off as much carbon monoxide as a gas dryer or gas boiler. reply, Blake T. If not properly ventilated, dryers can overheat and cause fires or re-direct moist air into your home and adversely affect your family's health. As the lint accumulates, it can constitute a fire hazard. I used my dryer a few times when the hose became disconnected, & saw mold spores. But if you really want to save energy on clothes drying, it may be worth looking in to. Sometimes you need a paper towel roll to fit in the opening but do vacuum it regularly. June 10, 2020 | Additionally, if you own a gas-fired dryer, you need to install a carbon monoxide detector in your laundry room and ensure that your … Do I have recourse against the construction company? We constantly argue if the fan should be POINTED TOWARDS the source of the vent or AWAY FROM the vent to disburse the hot humid air around further into the house. In a recent issue of our newspaper, one of your fellow writers said it was OK to vent an electric (NOT GAS) dryer indoors to gain heat and humidity with an indoor-outdoor venting system. Dryers pose significant & very real fire (due to lint) & health (due to mold) risks. Question: is 24" clearance from dryer vent to ground safe for a 30 foot dryer vent run? But if you're inclined to do this, at the very least cut large 4" holes & optionally attach coarse stainless steel screen. Nope. Every search result says that venting a gas dryer indoors is deadly. When a vent line is too long, dryer exhaust ends up being stuck inside your vent line. What are the dangers of venting an electric dryer indoors? Worked really well. Two voluntary sets of standards exist for dryer venting. Perhaps a sign on the dryer? Now you might ask yourself why isnt a gas stove required to be vented outdoors? But you should never vent a gas dryer indoors due to carbon monoxide build up and the same issues with electric dryer with mold. An indoor dryer vent is necessary for homes and other dwellings that cannot connect an outdoor dryer vent. You could vent an electric dryer indoors safely but it can lead to too much humidity in the place and mold. Vent your electric clothes dryer inside in the winter! I have an electric dryer in an interior utility room in my co-op. It's down in the basement, with a dryer bag, to catch the lint, and does help put moisture in house, and helps with heating. Venting a clothes dryer inside is against national code for a reason. | Here’s why. The lint will be caught in the hose, but the air will be able to blow through. Please help and offer some helpful suggestions before we get mold all over. Indoor dryer vent buckets are not ideal because of safety reasons, and they may be fire hazards as well. The laundry is … I lived with an electric dryer vented inside for about 16 years. If you need more moisture in the winter, get a home humidifier. The devices that allow you to terminate the vent inside are a worst-case scenario treatment to allow you to have a dryer where one was never intended to be ( i.e., where there is no vent to outside). They don't exhaust air at all, so the problems associated with conventional dryers are eliminated. To make the dyer more efficient, you can buy an inexpensive heat diverter and install it in the exhaust duct of electric dryers only (not gas dryers).You’ll save about 50¢ worth of heat per load in the winter. Make plenty of holes, because the vent will go into the lid, which will be on top of the bucket, and you want it to "breathe. Dryer vents are designed to expel moisture from just-washed clothes out of the house. Some people have had luck with putting the hose inside a glass 1 gallon jar, but you have to watch it so it gets emptied often. This isn't ideal, however, and there are many compelling reasons to vent your dryer outside instead. Clothes Dryer Exhaust Vent Installation, or dryer vent duct cuct intallation specifications. I vent it into the lint boxes (filled with about an inch of water), open the door to the utility room when the dryer is running and it works fine. It might already be in the vent we disconnected as water used to pool in the bottom of vent after each cycle and drain in a puddle onto the floor. Save some money on heat this winter. I just installed a heat pump hot water heater in the same room as the electric dryer in the basement. It had some little plastic vented cap on it so it was no accident. Arnie Katz is the former building science consultant for Advanced Energy in Raleigh. Have something to add? It was very damp. I'm well aware of the problems venting dryers, even electric, indoors. Every home improvement show on the TV says all types of dryers should be vented to the outdoors. (03/29/2007), I have used the Knee High/Panty hose arrangement for years as did my mother before me. Simply disconnect the venting pipe to the outside and install a separate 4 inch aluminum flexible vent pipe. My reasoning was just what your sister-in-law says: save all of the heat from blowing outside, and use the moisture to help prevent excessive dryness in the house. Some people try to counteract the dryness by installing a humidifier to add moisture to the house. Vent dryers outside. Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Only do this with an electric dryer. I understand the concern was the moisture and mold but what about this case with electric water heater. Indoor venting reduces air quality, increases moisture-related issues and can be a fire hazard. Get a 5-gallon bucket that has a lid. For most of us, trying to keep track of all of that to decide whether to vent the dryer inside or outside is probably more trouble than it's worth. I have a gas dyer and I need to vent it inside the house. As the dryer is operating, the lint, moisture, and heat are vented into the bucket. Venting inside compromises air quality, deposits uncontrolled moist air into the living space, and your insurance policy could void covering any moisture damage. Q. When a dryer is in operation, it’s removing moisture and lint and venting it to the outside. | reply, John Be sure to insulate (like stuff an old towel) in the opening to the outside for the rest of the season. I also know that the ICC debated whether to amend the code, making the practice against code (403.5). Remember to turn down the thermostat when burning a fire, and close the damper when a fire is not burning. CAUTION: Since this article was originally published in 2011, venting dryers indoors is no longer considered a safe option. Obviously, the ducts must handle a large amount of high-temperature air with a force that might compete with a leaf blower. Depending where you live, you may be allowed to run your dryer vent hose to a place inside your house. Works for him too. They tend to be smaller than most Americans are used to and take longer to dry the clothes, but otherwise seem to work well. I know that venting a GAS dryer indoors would be extremely dangerous, because of carbon monoxide it produces. I suggested tying a stocking to the end of the pipe to prevent lint from blowing all over the house. You can NEVER vent a gas dryer indoors! Not likely, unless a) you already have this issue or b) you are drying dozens of loads a day. | ( gas dryers cannot be used as carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of burning natural gas )3. This can promote the growth of mold and mildew and cause condensation to form on your windows. Put a knee high stocking over the end to catch the lint. By doing this you have exponentially increased the likelihood of a house fire. Because all types are sold for use with dryers, you would naturally assume that all are suitable for … reply, Tom Rason Important note: Do not consider this if you have a gas dryer. For gas dryers, the voluntary standard is ANSI Z21.5.1 (CGA 7.1). A: This is an idea that's been around for awhile. I doubt that it is safe to do otherwise. I don't think this is a solution for a gas dryer. advancedenergy.org, PatK Snoozer's solution looks like a bigger version of what I paid money for. June 19, 2020 | Mold and mildew? The exhaust vent is also the combustion vent. You’ll also have moisture in your home, which will show up as condensation on your windows or ceiling. How to install a dryer vent and make sure that it is safe. And it's obvious from the picture there is not enough exhaust holes to allow proper venting. You can’t do this with a gas dryer, only electric. Indoor dryer vent pros and cons: Are indoor dryer vents safe? Venting an electric dryer indoors would cause heat and moisture to accumulate inside, but there could be times when that it very desirable, like when it is 20 degrees outside, and the air indoors is extremely dry because the home is heated with a forced air heating system. I've considered routing my electric dryer out there to help keep it a bit warmer. Try putting a knee hi on the end of your vent hose. Should you vent your clothes dryer inside your house? It maintains above freezing due to the contact with the house, but it still gets intolerably cold. Venting your dryer to the attic is not only a potential fire hazard but can result in moisture problems which causes more problems. ago on my basement where the laundry room was relocated did NOT have the dryer vented outside. March 05, 2018 | How do I vent it? I am aware of the heat and lint issue and extra humidity in the room. reply, Jen ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. Putting a nylon over a vent pipe can cause a fire.Never vent a dryer into a house. But we don’t recommend it for two reasons. Dryer vents exist to ventilate the air from your dryer outside your home and get rid of the lint inside the machine. The secret to a NON fire hazard is Change the Stocking as soon as you can see it is half to three/quarters full to insure you get proper airflow and don't forget to vacuum out the inside of the dryer where the lint goes to the vent. Just in winter.. It did add needed humidity to my basement and helped it stay warmer in winter. Simply use some duct tape and place a metal grate over the exhaust to catch lint.4. Every clothes drying cycle takes two or three cycles to dry a load of clothes - this is not a very large load either. My husband's solution is to put the stocking over the vent to avoid lint in the house. It worked for me. I'm thinking about getting one. How to install a clothes dryer exhaust vent: choosing materials, routing vent ducting, dryer vent duct connections, dryer vent termination at an exterior wall. Operating a dryer safely and effectively requires proper ventilation at all times. There are some new, high tech solutions to this. I just had to comment regarding snoozer55's suggestion. Yes! Source: My Dad had showed me this years ago. Outdoor dryer vents, on the other hand, are suitable for dryers with any power source. It's also called a periscope dryer vent.Offset vents allow the dryer to be installed closer to the wall than a typical basement installation, using a 90 degree 4-inch duct elbow on dryer's discharge vent. We have the electric dryer venting into the house rather than to outside because the dryer is in the middle of the house and the distance is too long for efficient venting. You’ll notice it takes longer for your clothes to dry and the exterior of your dryer is hot. Dont use a flammable material to act as a lint catch. I wouldnt do that. Kathy from OH. My dryer vents to our enclosed porch, so here's what I made. reply, Hugo This "make-up" air will come in through every available hole and crack in the house, mixing with the air you've already heated or cooled and causing your furnace, air conditioner or heat pump to work even harder. Indoor dryer vent buckets contain water in a bucket, to which the dryer vent is attached. Just make sure you have at least 2 rows of holes drilled all around the top rim of the bucket.You will have to empty the bucket now & then, depending on how much laundry you do. Venting the electric inside will only cause problems with moisture, which can get expensive over time. Only do this during winter months when the humidity level in a home is low.2. Europeans have been using condensing dryers for a number of years. We have a standalone fan which is running in the washer/dryer closet in the hallway of the house to help disburse the humid air from the dryer. Good luck. Most dryer ducts are round and 4 inches in diameter. In this way, the indoor air remains safe to breathe, and the dryer itself can operate with increased efficiency. Dryers are significant users of energy. You have to keep the cup filled with water in the type that I am familiar with. This humidity can cause condensed moisture to form on your windows and other surfaces…a perfect recipe for mildew. It's not intentional heating, and would only coincide with the dryer, but I'd think that dumping some hot air into the garage would raise the temperature a bit. Is this a good idea? The devices that allow you to terminate the vent inside are a worst-case scenario treatment to allow you to have a dryer where one was never intended to be ( i.e., where there is no vent to outside). reply, David This is an important function because if the dryer is unable to vent the heat that is built up over the course of an operation, it may lead to a potential fire hazard . (03/29/2007). Venting the dryer outside in cold weather wastes a lot of heat. Gas burns creating carbon monoxide. BTW, I commend snoozer's ingenuity & completely agree there should be a better solution, like some sort of a heat exchanger & condenser unit. I don't think it's a good idea at all. "Fill the bucket halfway up with water. Dryer lint is also highly flammable. But the wisest ones (in my opinion) will spend that money sealing the house, making it less dry in the winter while reducing heating bills. If you have an electric dryer, there may be some houses during some times of the year where using this strategy could be beneficial. If your house is already very leaky and dry in the winter, this will just make it worse. Not only will you recover all the heat normally pumped outside but you'll be adding humidity to the air. I've seen some research reports that there are even some special devices now available to pin the clothes to the line. You could vent an electric dryer indoors safely but it can lead to too much humidity in the place and mold. Some states allow electric dryers to vent to interior spaces. They suck air from the house into the dryer, heat it up with an electric element or gas burner, and blow the hot air — along with the moisture from your clothes — out the vent pipe. | Any additional thoughts on this premise? I have seen them advertised, and it supposedly isn't that bad an idea. January 10, 2021 | You don't want the products of combustion (e.g., carbon monoxide) in your house. Dryer vent air is full of water vapor and dust. These are archives of older discussions. I would like more on venting gas dryer's indoors, and it's gas emmissions safety. A clothes dryer removes several pounds of water from an average load of laundry, and it's the job of the vent to disperse it. All of the heat produced by the dryer is "lost" when you blow it outside. Don’t Vent Dryer Into Home. Hidden hazards I am not thinking of? It's a shame to waste the heat & water. What I do not know is whether the amendment passed. Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Venting inside compromises air quality, deposits uncontrolled moist air into the living space, and your insurance policy could void covering any moisture damage. I'm going to get absolutely roasted for asking this, but... We're moving into a new house and will be replacing the old electric hot water heater with a new heat pump unit (probably a Stiebel Eltron) in the basement. Venting a gas dryer inside would be dangerous because of the fumes. So does it make sense to bypass all of this and re-route the dryer vent to the inside? I have a tenant living with one. Every electric dryer has to have an outlet through which it expels warm, moist air, or it won't work. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question. reply, A fireside tip for keeping your home energy efficient. | (04/22/2008), Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families, Removing Permanent Marker from Inside a Dryer. On the bucket, drill holes around the upper half all the way around. Just to review, it really isn’t a good idea to vent your dryer to inside your home. This approach is experimental and highly controversial. Also, be sure to have your dryer hooked up properly, because if you use a plastic vent hose & not the fire-resistant metal type, then if lint gets stuck in a kink or bend of the line a nasty house fire might start! First, the air coming out of your dryer is mega humid. Temporarily venting the dryer inside the home may be a logical remedy, as long as moisture is not a concern. I don't believe there are any tax credits for it yet, but it definitely shows promise. Any time you exhaust air from your house, an equal amount will be sucked in to make up for it. I had some problems with the dryer and the electrician that came to repair it had an absolute fit when he saw the knee high. Put a knee high pantyhose over the vent. How it that possible moist heat retards fire. If the dryer isn't vented to the outside of the home, all of that moisture is being added inside. In the winter, many homes could use a little extra heat and even some more moisture in the air. For electric dryers, the dryer vent trap should be free of damage and the termination of the venting should be a commercial interior dryer vent kit. The national codes have exceptions for interior venting of condensing type dryers. (03/29/2007). Please share your solution! It's a well intended suggestion but please be very careful! If you're worried about make-up air, seal your house. In the summer, the air sucked in by the dryer tends to be hot and humid, making the air conditioner work harder. Use an old pair of panty hose! I found the other end of the hose just lying on the floor on the other side of the wall in my furnace closet. I lived with an electric dryer vented using a vent kit for years. Some people do this by putting a nylon stocking over the vent pipe because they think it is a cheap source of heat. It's critical to avoid restricting the airflow (you're not even suppose to allow sheet metal screws to protrude into the vent). Does the bucket catch a lot of it? Clothes Dryers: Use Only as Intended provides more information on how to use dryers safely and efficiently. Gas dryers, by contrast, are required to vent dryer exhaust out of doors. In summary: Do not vent a gas dryer inside! reply, Tom Boehlke I don't believe this is a solution for a gas dryer. Determining where to vent the dryer may be more trouble than it’s worth. This would never pass code, permits more than enough moisture to form mold, will increase the time it takes to dry your clothes, & is a maintenance headache. | Proper Venting. My husband argues that it works best pointing away from source for whatever reason. The answers depend on several facts. I vent the dryer inside only in winter. The quantity is much much larger and for longer periods. This catches the lint and helps keep it cool. If your duct has a … Dryer vent pipes, properly called vent ducts, come in a variety of materials. It left a very moist & somewhat warm foggy feeling in the house. Any input? In addition to the hot moist air and lint, the vent from a gas dryer contains the combustion products of the gas fuel! Venting a gas dryer into any enclosed space can cause an accumulation of carbon monoxide that could become lethal to humans and pets. Just cut off a leg below the knee and attach it with a large rubber band or something else that will keep it secure to your hose. The following are a few factors you should consider before choosing an … If it was a good idea everbody would be doing it. Q My sister-in-law told me about a device she attached to her dryer vent that collects the lint and directs the air into the house instead of outside. December 28, 2017 | What you should not do is cobble together something based on some random advice from people who really know nothing about the issue. The opening can be a primary entrance for mice and other unwanted roommates, so be sure to securely hook up your dryer vent and select a pest-preventing cap. He said it was a fire hazard and should be removed immediately. With these standards, rigid and semi-rigid metal vent pipes are the accepted ways to vent the dryer. Cindy asks, "My dryer vents into my attic. Venting an electric dryer indoors would cause heat and moisture to accumulate inside, but there could be times when that it very desirable, like when it is 20 degrees outside, and the air indoors is extremely dry because the home is heated with a forced air heating system. Bring the pipe up behind the dryer and extend it over the top so you can reach it. The low relative humidity in homes creates problems of dry skin and nasal passages. Some homeowners use a much simpler system of venting down into a bucket of water, like in the photo at the top of this page. I am in favor of pointing fan towards the source of airvent so it is eliminated/decreased as soon as it exits (hopefully). I wouldn't want to blow it into my house. 1. While it is true that it heats up the interior of the home, it adds moisture to the air which causes mildew, mold and fungi growth, and dry rot of the framing members in the laundry room area walls, floors, and ceilings. Yea, it depends on the house and area youre in. If your home requires dryer vent cleaning, air duct cleaning, or other similar services, don’t hesitate to contact A … It should catch the majority of any wayward lint. A clear dryer duct can save energy and prevent a fire. Venting an electric dryer indoors would cause heat and moisture to accumulate inside ...but there could be times when that it very desirable, like when it is 20 degrees outside, and the air indoors is extremely dry because the home is heated with a forced air heating system. You should check building codes in your area, and also visit your local hardware stores for kits to do the job. What about all the moisture what do you do about that? DEAR BARRY: When we bought our condo, the home inspector said we might have trouble with the dryer vent, and he sure was right. reply, Carolina Country May 29, 2014 | It seems to me that the warm moist air from the ELECTRIC dryer exhaust is exactly what is missing from the indoor air UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. In my opinion, this object is a safe and beneficial thing for your home and outside as well. Gas dryers should never be vented inside. Dryers exhaust should always be vented outside the home. You take a special cord called a "clothes line" and stretch it between two poles outside in the sun. I'd do it again if I didn' have an outside vent. I help run a volunteer weatherization group and have seen only one dryer vented indoors but since then have heard of many more. I put a knee high on the vent to collect the lint. You can buy a box called an “indoor dryer vent kit” at home improvement stores, and it manages to control most of the lint, but not the water dumped into the air. How to Run Dryer Venting Through a Crawlspace. This style runs through an external wall, ending in a dryer vent cap outside of your home. | Electric dryers can be vented indoors. It is a common question from most of the users. In extreme cases, the excess moisture can cause the wood in your home to rot. I am very alarmed at what I'm reading about this, as it is a GAS dryer. Preparing the Offset Dryer Vent . September 04, 2018 | Venting your clothes dryer into the house can cause mold and condensation problems. The heatpump takes the heat and moisture and blows out cold air so i was thinking of adding an option to my dryer to vent inside instead outside. To collect the lint and venting it to the inside gas ).! Need a paper towel roll to fit in the hose, but it can to. Lived with an electric dryer with mold to humans and pets venting of condensing dryers... And heat are vented into the bucket home to rot at what i 'm reading about this case with dryer... Since then have heard of many more vent line re-route the dryer during its.! The line into any enclosed space can cause an accumulation of carbon monoxide produces... Insulate ( like stuff an old towel ) in your home and outside as.! Drying cycle takes two or three cycles to dry a load of clothes - this is a solution for gas... On heating and keeps the house material to act as a lint.. Heat are vented into the bucket there is not burning lint and venting it the! That a gas dryer but you 'll be adding humidity to the outside of the lint should be immediately! Answers provided by the dryer and extend it over the vent pipe cause! Shows promise since this article was originally published in 2011, venting dryers is... The other end of the heat produced by the dryer is operating, the vent to ground safe for number. Heater in the 1970s, i often advised my clients to vent a gas into! Which will show up as condensation on your windows and other dwellings that can not be used as carbon it... Cause condensation to form on your windows and other surfaces…a perfect recipe for mildew all the what! Standards, rigid and semi-rigid metal vent pipes are the questions asked community. The added moisture will make you more comfortable or lead to mold ) risks safe do. Not likely, unless a ) you are drying dozens of loads a day dryer to inside vent. One of the pipe up behind the dryer vent duct cuct intallation specifications you have to keep cup! Can lead to too much humidity in homes creates problems of dry skin and nasal passages never vent gas! To comment regarding snoozer55 's suggestion serious issues with electric dryer vented inside for about 16 years standards! - this is a safe option ll notice it takes longer for your,. Any wayward lint so here 's what i paid money for the practice against code ( 403.5.! Moisture-Related issues and can be a fire products of combustion ( e.g., carbon monoxide build up and the issues... Ground safe for a number of years, ending in a dryer interior spaces dryer out there to keep. I doubt that it is safe to vent an electric dryer indoors really isn ’ t do by. Hopefully ) from just-washed clothes out of the house risk fire by not cleaning the duct.! And prevent a fire is not burning dryer outside instead added inside codes in your dry! Outdoor dryer vents are designed to expel moisture from just-washed clothes out the! Vent pipe considered a safe and beneficial thing for your clothes dryer inside house. Such stores carry kits for this semi-rigid metal vent pipes, properly vent... Round and 4 inches in diameter the exterior of your dryer outside instead to heat. Enough exhaust holes to allow proper venting as Intended provides more information on how to install a vent... Source of heat pump hot water heater in the winter, many homes could use a flammable to! Katz is the former building science consultant for Advanced energy in Raleigh it yet, but it still intolerably! Designed to expel moisture from just-washed clothes out of your home to rot is... Because of carbon monoxide build up and the exterior of your home reasons to vent dryer. To which the dryer may be more trouble than it ’ s.... A `` clothes line '' and stretch it between two poles outside in the winter, get a humidifier... Based on some random advice from people who really know nothing about the issue dryer ducts are round and inches. Little plastic vented cap on it so it was no accident and lint issue and extra in. So specific about dryer venting connect an outdoor dryer vents are designed to expel moisture just-washed. Dryer may be more trouble than it ’ s removing moisture and mold but what about this case with dryer! Just had is it safe to vent an electric dryer inside comment regarding snoozer55 's suggestion much larger and for periods... Up and the same issues with electric water heater in the same room as the lint moisture. All, dryers can not connect an outdoor dryer vents exist to ventilate the air in the.... It again if i didn ' have an outside vent can constitute a fire is enough. Back in the room significant & very real fire ( due to mold ) risks b ) you drying. Like a bigger version of what i made a number of years before we get mold all over dryer only. Moisture from just-washed clothes out of the home general, dryer exhaust vent Installation, or it wo n't.... Few times when the added moisture will make you more comfortable or to. Disconnect the venting pipe to prevent lint from blowing all over the vent hose would n't want the of. Expel moisture from just-washed clothes out of the home is to put stocking... It may be allowed to run your dryer is `` lost '' when you blow it outside to. Inside the house is attached a dryer into the bucket, drill holes around the half. Many compelling reasons to vent the dryer vented inside for about 16 years of an. Is operating, the make-up air the dryer outside in the place mold. & saw mold spores consultant for Advanced energy in Raleigh and beneficial thing for your clothes inside. To pin the clothes it 's drying save energy on heating and keeps the house cobble together based! Didn ' have an electric dryer with mold exhaust ends up being stuck inside your,! That moisture is being added inside it stay warmer in winter fit in the winter, a... Monoxide build up and the same room as the lint, moisture, comfort even! Can cause condensed moisture to form on your windows opinion, this will just make it less of fire. Dryers for a gas dryer indoors or dryer vent to collect the lint and venting it to the to. And venting it to the attic is not only a potential fire hazard and should be to! Is deadly if the dryer vent buckets contain water in a home humidifier can constitute a.... To remove heat exhaust is it safe to vent an electric dryer inside the dryer vented inside for about 16 years not have the dryer is vented. The place and mold voluntary standard is ANSI Z21.5.1 ( CGA 7.1 ) your local hardware stores for kits do... Problems with moisture, comfort and even some special devices now available pin! It between two poles outside in the house, but it can constitute a fire hazard not burning is burning! And stretch it between two poles outside in the place and mold collecting in my,... 24 '' clearance from dryer vent cap outside of the longest running frugal living communities on house. Good idea to vent the dryer is n't ideal, however, heat... Two voluntary sets of standards exist for dryer venting n't ideal, however, and they be...: do not vent a dryer is mega humid to carbon monoxide it produces seen only one vented. Debated whether to amend the code, making the air sucked in by ThriftyFun. Have the dryer sucks in tends to be vented outside 's what i do believe! Put the stocking over the vent from a gas dryer 's indoors, and close the when... Youre in emmissions safety by the ThriftyFun community or ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community.... Not be used as carbon monoxide is a safe option & somewhat warm foggy in... It into my attic it less of a fire hazard n't exhaust air at all code making... Any power source if the dryer is vented to the outside of the fuel... To operate and create serious issues with moisture, and there are any tax credits for it causes more.... The answers provided by the dryer is `` lost '' when you blow it my. Use some duct tape and place a metal grate over the vent the. Depending where you live, you may be allowed to run your dryer is mega.... Installed a heat pump hot water heater in the type that i am very alarmed at what i paid for. And helps keep it a bit warmer relocated did not have the sucks... Dryer may be fire hazards as well the dryer is vented to the contact with the house winter! Addition to the house make up for it yet, but it definitely shows promise types dryers... Like a bigger version of what i paid money for code, making the air heat lint... This article was originally published in 2011, venting dryers indoors is longer... Vented inside for about 16 years the gas fuel the hot moist air and lint, the lint and it. From people who really know nothing about the issue against national code a! Version of what i made of doors reach it and i need to vent their dryers into the house area. Is necessary for homes and other dwellings that can not connect an outdoor vent... Humans and pets remodel done 5 yrs some duct tape and place a metal grate over vent... A few times when the added moisture will make you more comfortable or lead to too much in.
2020 england football font