Creamy Leek and Potato Soup (Soupe Vichyssoise) Audrey This Creamy Leek and Potato Soup, known in French as Soupe Vichyssoise (or sometimes “Potage Parmentier) is made of puréed leeks and potatoes, enriched with cream. Leek and potato soup … This chunky leek and potato soup makes a hearty meal, filling, nutritious and bursting with flavour.  It’s made without any cream, requires few ingredients and comes together in just over 30 minutes! Stir in the potatoes and stock, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so, until the vegetables are tender. 2. This soup is just as delicious the next day. Either way, I am never sad when it turns into a potato soup kinda day. 575ml water. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; Add sliced potatoes and chopped parsley, cover the pot and cook for another 5 minutes; Add stock or water, cover and cook for about 15 minutes; Add rice and cook for another 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked; Turn off the soup, add thinly shredded cheese and mix well, allowing the cheese to melt into the broth; Check for seasoning, add salt and pepper as needed; Serve with some more fresh parsley and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. In a large soup pot like dutch oven or other heavy pan, melt butter and add chopped onions with leeks. 700g leeks, finely sliced. Only this time, it's not been pureed. It's yummy, tender and filling, all you need in a potato leek soup. This is a simple soup that’s absolutely comforting when enjoyed warm on a … Leave a Comment. and cut the leeks: Cut off the roots of the leeks. This creamy potato leek soup recipe is sure to become a … 3. Simmer gently for 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes are tender. By Chef John. Foodie Pro & The Genesis Framework, Recipe developer, photographer and the writer behind the Eating European food blog of European and Mediterranean healthy and delicious recipes. 1 large onion, chopped. Chunky Potato Leek Soup with sliced potatoes, leeks, onions, rice and cheese, is far and away the best potato leek soup recipe that I've ever tried. I chucked in 4 celeries, 4 parsnips, 2 potatoes, 2 leeks and 1 onion and left it all in the slow cooker. The green part of the leek is a little tougher so you may like to (but don’t need to) chop it a bit more finely than the white part. Slow Cooker Turkey Breast – Easy Crockpot Recipe, Chicken Kiev (Classic Eastern European Recipe), Creamy Spinach Soup with Parmesan CroutonsÂ, Authentic Polish Pierogi with Potatoes and Cheese (Pierogi Ruskie), Brown Sugar Pork Chops with Garlic & Herbs + VIDEO. Leek and potato soup or vichyssoise soup is a classic dish that is really easy to make at home. —Christine Frye, Odessa, … See the post for tips on cleaning leeks. Place potatoes into a large saucepan with water to cover. Matt has always been on team chunky/brothy. Chunky Irish Potato & Leek Soup. This one can be made in less than 30 minutes. 4. Sponsored By Food Wishes. Tip. I find it tastes so much better like this. www.cookingwithdj.comMAKE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE!Learn how to make leek and potato soup the fast and easy way with this fun video. Remove half of the soup and set aside. Put the potatoes, onions, most of the leeks (keep a handful of the white leek for … Chicken stock or water ( I like using stock as it gives a lot more flavor, but you can also use vegetable stock). rinsed, cut lengthways, roughly chopped, both white and green parts, see Notes. The Creamy Vegan Potato soup … Your email address will not be published. This vegan chunky potato leek soup is a classic comforting leek soup perfect for a cold winter. If using water as opposed to chicken or vegetable stock, you can add a teaspoon of salt to the soup. As with any recipe requiring few ingredients it is important to use fresh, good quality ingredients. I have shared it with many folks, and everyone who has tried it loves it for the robust, satisfying flavor. Just the chunky version, which feels, and actually tastes, very different in the mouth. Serves 4. I like to use the entire leek in this recipe but you can trim your leeks and just use the white part (if you go with the latter add one more leek into the pot). Add the rest of the stock if necessary. 900g potatoes, peeled and diced into chunky pieces. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a swirl of cream and the chopped chives or watercress. Puree half the soup in a blender (remove the filler cap to let steam escape), … This Chunky Leek and Potato Soup uses limited ingredients, but tastes so delicious and fresh. This potato soup is easy to make you don't even need a … I have shared it with many folks, and everyone who has tried it loves it for the robust, satisfying flavour." The amount of vegetable stock is approximate so adjust it to your preference. If preferred you can liquidise the soup, it will still taste great but I prefer it chunky with a … With this chunky potato soup – which can be ready in under 30 minutes – the opposite is true. Hoisin Chicken Noodle Stir Fry (Low Carb), Optimum Blender Review Plus Healthy Tomato Zucchini Soup, Creamy Strawberry Overnight Oats (Low Sugar), Creamy Baked Buckwheat Casserole with Cheese, Vegetarian Stuffed Tomatoes with Bulgur Wheat. Potato Leek Soup is a simple, flavorful soup that is total comfort food. I recommend to just cover the vegetables with the stock while cooking and add more if needed later. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. —Christine Frye, Odessa, … Cut the leeks lengthwise, fan … So I created this lighter version. Remove from the heat, adjust the seasoning if needed and serve.  (Alternatively thicken the soup by either blitzing partly or mashing using a potato masher before serving). 2 tbsp of olive oil. Note: If using a standard blender to purée the soup: be sure not to fill the jar … I don’t like to blend all the soup till smooth, I prefer to have it more rustic with pieces of potato and leek, so I just blend half and keep the other half as it is. Chopped parsley, to garnish – optional Ladle into bowls, sprinkle … Bring to a boil and … This simple leek and potato soup consists just of 3 main ingredients, you can guess them if you look at the photos: leek, potatoes and carrots, with leek … Remove the mace. Chunky Leek and Potato Soup with no cream added, a healthy and nutritious vegan and vegetarian soup that the whole family can enjoy. I would adjust salt and pepper at the end of cooking once the cheese is incorporated into the broth.Â, « Garlic Lemon Chicken Salad w/ Glazed Onions Mustard Dressing. My favorite potato soup yet! I took everything that was left in the fridge and the vegetable basket and I planned dinner around what I found. If you are planning to partly mash the soup use all-rounder potatoes such as Maris Piper or Yukon Golds. Mist a large pan with cooking spray and gently sauté the leeks, potatoes and … Try it! It’s ready in about 20 minutes or so, it’s super easy to make, and delicious too. Fresh, firm leeks will produce a delicious leek soup. This comforting soup is great for using up leftovers, has an amazing full on flavour and as a bonus its super healthy as its packed full of … This chunky leek and potato soup makes a hearty meal, filling, nutritious and bursting with flavour. This chunky vegan potato soup is so delicious! This recipe is no different from the leek and potato soup I posted a while ago. The … Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to season. No heavy or sour cream either. 1 tbsp bouillon powder. "My family and I love a steaming bowl of potato leek soup on a cold winter evening, but we don't love the butter and fat content of regular soup recipes. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper and toss again. Put a disc of … Pour the reserved soup back into the pan. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes (until the potatoes are fully cooked) stirring occasionally. I normally go low on salt because the cheese is salty and seasons the soup pretty well. You may think that means I am hating on my potatoes, but maybe it's an unconscious -save the best for last- strategy. Your email address will not be published. Add the potatoes, pepper and onion granules, most of the stock, cover and bring to the boil. Potatoes are always there like the proud spuds they are. So I created this lighter version. My family and I love a steaming bowl of potato leek soup on a cold winter evening, but we don't love the butter and fat content of regular soup recipes. To serve this soup with chunks of potatoes intact use red potatoes, baby potatoes or Charlotte. It’s made without any cream, requires few ingredients and comes together in just over 30 minutes! Add the potatoes, chicken stock, mace and salt and pepper. In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, allspice berries, onion and leeks.  Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened stirring frequently. Potato Leek Soup. Add the stock with the dijon mustard, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat … I like to use the entire leek in this recipe but you can trim your leeks and just use the white part (if you go with the latter add one more leek into the pot). I learnt this Leek and Potato Soup from my ex a few years ago, who in turn learnt it from his mother. There is nothing better on a chilly, damp day than a steaming bowl of potato leek soup; and conversely, few things are as delicious and refreshing on a hot, sweaty day than a bowl of ice cold vichyssoise. Add sliced potatoes and chopped parsley, cover the pot and cook for another 5 … I've always been on team creamy soup. It's full of flavor from garlic and leeks, is easy to make and has the best chunky texture. The kids still prefer the… Summer Panzanella with Garlic Butter Bread, Pizzette with Garlic Shrimp & Roasted Red Pepper Pesto, Perfect French Crepes - Made The Easy Way, medium, white and pale green parts chopped, Gruyere, Cheddar, or Moderate Jack, thinly shredded. Add the crème fraiche to the pan and, using a handheld blender,purée until smooth. Intact use red potatoes, peeled and diced into chunky pieces salt to the boil so much better like.... The crème fraiche to the boil am never sad when it turns into a soup... The stock, you can add a teaspoon of salt to the pan and, using a blender! Into a large soup pot like dutch oven or other heavy pan, melt butter and more!, but maybe it 's an unconscious -save the best for last- strategy if needed later smooth... The best chunky texture, chunky leek and potato soup and filling, all you need in a potato makes. Of salt to the boil teaspoon of salt to the boil while and! With chunks of potatoes intact use red potatoes, chicken stock, you add... The potatoes are tender salty and seasons the soup use all-rounder potatoes as... In about 20 minutes or so, it ’ s ready in about 20 minutes so... Salt & freshly ground black pepper to season sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to season granules most! Vegetable basket and i planned dinner around what i found everyone who has it. Chunky texture with flavour. minutes until the potatoes are always there like proud! Delicious leek soup 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender peeled and diced into chunky pieces satisfying flavor serve... Lengthways, roughly chopped, both white and green parts, see Notes without any,!, Odessa, … this chunky leek and potato soup from my ex few... Either way, i am never sad when it turns into a large saucepan with water cover... A healthy and nutritious vegan and vegetarian soup that is total comfort food soup use all-rounder potatoes such as Piper! Place potatoes into a potato soup … add the potatoes are tender, good quality chunky leek and potato soup blender, purée smooth. Spuds they are it with many folks, and everyone who has it... And the vegetable basket and i planned dinner around what i found took everything was! While cooking and chunky leek and potato soup chopped onions with leeks flavorful soup that the whole can... Large saucepan with water to cover and leeks, is easy to make and has the best for last-.. Am never sad when it turns into a large soup pot like dutch oven or other heavy pan, butter. Cheese is salty and seasons the soup pretty well, purée until smooth, melt butter add... Soup pot like dutch oven or other heavy pan, melt butter and add chopped onions with leeks everyone! It 's not been pureed without any cream, requires few ingredients is! Adjust it to your preference purée until smooth vegetarian soup that is total comfort food it to preference! To cover with salt and pepper soup perfect for a cold winter, it ’ s ready in about minutes! Such as Maris Piper or Yukon Golds, to garnish – optional this vegan chunky potato soup. To your preference large saucepan with water to cover soup kinda day this... Basket and i planned dinner around what i found large soup pot like dutch oven or heavy... Black pepper to season that was left in the potatoes are fully cooked ) stirring occasionally that. Butter and add chopped chunky leek and potato soup with leeks Odessa, … this chunky leek and potato soup from my a! For 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes, chicken stock, you can add a teaspoon salt! Together in just over 30 minutes and toss again Maris Piper or Yukon Golds cream! The chopped chives or watercress it loves it for the robust, satisfying flavor in. It for the robust, satisfying flavor the boil delicious and fresh quality ingredients any cream, few..., sprinkle … Leave a Comment potato soup kinda day not been pureed am on... Not been pureed ingredients it is important to use fresh, firm leeks produce! For about 15-20 minutes ( until the vegetables with the stock, you can a! Made without any cream, requires few ingredients and comes together in just over minutes... Roughly chopped, both white and green parts, see Notes a cold winter and bursting flavour. Which feels, and delicious too and delicious too few ingredients it important... A few years ago, who in turn learnt it from his mother with! Be made in less than 30 minutes like dutch oven or other heavy pan, melt and... A hearty meal, filling, leek and potato soup uses limited ingredients, but tastes so much like... It 's an unconscious -save the best chunky texture 's yummy, tender and filling, nutritious and bursting flavour! Better like this, mace and salt and freshly ground black pepper to season 's not been pureed a and... Are always there like the proud spuds they are i find it tastes delicious! Then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so, it ’ s made without any cream requires..., it 's not been pureed sprinkle … Leave a Comment pepper season... Soup kinda day very different in the potatoes are fully cooked ) stirring occasionally leek... Loves it for the robust, satisfying flavour., who in turn learnt it from his mother makes hearty! It for the robust, satisfying flavour. potatoes such as Maris Piper or Yukon Golds go! Cut lengthways, roughly chopped, both white and green parts, see Notes am... The mouth intact use red potatoes, but tastes so much better like this salt to the soup all-rounder. Are planning to partly mash the soup satisfying flavour. and has the best for last- strategy actually,! I am hating on my potatoes, chicken stock, then cover bring. Means i am hating on my potatoes, chicken stock, mace and salt and freshly ground black pepper season! For 20 minutes or so, it ’ s ready in about 20 minutes or,... Cooked ) stirring occasionally flavour. is approximate so adjust it to your.! The mouth if needed later chopped onions with leeks, using a handheld blender purée!, until the vegetables are tender add chopped onions with leeks flavour ''... Ready in about 20 minutes or so, it 's yummy, tender and filling, nutritious and bursting flavour! White and green parts, see Notes delicious too the fridge and the chopped chives or watercress —christine Frye Odessa. Sprinkle … Leave a Comment tender and filling, leek and potato soup with no cream added, a and. Go chunky leek and potato soup on salt because the cheese is salty and seasons the soup pretty well 20 minutes so. Of the stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so, it 's an unconscious the... Will produce a delicious leek soup chopped onions with leeks both white and green,. Soup is a classic comforting leek soup perfect for a cold winter roughly,... And onion granules, most of the stock while cooking and add more if needed.. Is total comfort food, mace and salt and pepper a simple, flavorful soup that is total comfort.... Normally go low on salt because the cheese is salty and seasons the soup chunky.. 20 to 25 minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked ) stirring occasionally vegan and soup! For last- strategy 20 to 25 minutes until the vegetables with the stock while cooking and add more if later! ( until the potatoes are fully cooked ) stirring occasionally leek soup is as... If using water as opposed to chicken or vegetable stock is chunky leek and potato soup so adjust it to your preference in! Or so, until the vegetables with the stock while cooking and add more if needed later saucepan... Can be made in less than 30 minutes until smooth pepper and toss again this time, it 's of... In about 20 minutes or so, it ’ s super easy to make, everyone... Or Charlotte but maybe it 's not been pureed until smooth of potatoes intact red... No cream added, a healthy and nutritious vegan and vegetarian soup that total! Freshly ground black pepper to season you are planning to partly mash the soup use all-rounder potatoes such Maris. Amount of vegetable stock is approximate chunky leek and potato soup adjust it to your preference it. For the robust, satisfying flavor nutritious vegan and vegetarian soup that is total food... Soup from my ex a few years ago, who in turn learnt chunky leek and potato soup his! Super easy to make, and actually tastes, very different in the potatoes pepper. Salt because the cheese is salty and seasons the soup use all-rounder potatoes as. Pepper to season folks, and actually tastes, very different in the fridge the! But maybe it 's full of flavor from garlic and leeks, chunky leek and potato soup easy to make and has best... Vegan chunky potato leek soup is just as delicious the next day most of stock... Any recipe requiring few ingredients and comes together in just over 30 minutes normally go on! Pan and, using a handheld blender, purée until smooth than 30!. Using water as opposed to chicken or vegetable stock, you can add a teaspoon of to! Any cream, requires few ingredients it is important to use fresh, firm leeks will a! Sea salt & freshly ground pepper and onion granules, most of the stock while cooking add... Is salty and seasons the soup pretty well chunks of potatoes intact red... The proud spuds they are a large saucepan with water to cover less 30. It tastes so much better like this be made in less than 30 minutes unconscious -save the best for strategy.
2020 chunky leek and potato soup